Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Dream of Happiness

About a year and a half ago, amidst a storm of teenage hormones and high stress levels courtesy of the college application process, I asked a person who was very important to me if they were happy.

I didn't get a straight answer, but instead something that threw me just a bit.  This very important person immediately said to me, "I don't like that word.  This table is happy, this piece of chicken is happy.  It doesn't mean anything."

I don't remember every part of the conversation, but that bit stood out to me.  I don't recall this person going on to say anything about enjoying or being content with their life.  Just that they never use the word "happy."

"Happy" is the most important word in my world.  It is a word that has become synonymous with my name to my friends and family.  It is the single word that defines my life's aspirations.  "Happy" is me.  I am happy.

The moment the words, "It doesn't mean anything," were uttered by this very important person, my world froze for a moment.  My heart cried out to this person across the table.  I was being told that true happiness doesn't exist.  Dreams don't come true.  Life sucks.

Never in my life have I felt more distant from another human being.

I believe in happiness.  Dreams do come, love is found all around us, and life is beautiful. All one must to do see it is believe.  Believe with all your heart, mind, and soul, and anything can happen.

Perhaps I am just a naive young girl who really knows nothing of the world.  Maybe I'm following a hopeless dream that will never see the light of day.  I might be truly insane.  I could be a lot of things, but none of that matters because I believe and I am happy.

My dream, above all else, is to share happiness with the world.  I want others to believe in the beautiful world I see.  I want to share the universe I live in.  This is my dream for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment